Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas

I had never watched a cooking show in my life but since watching this season of The Next Food Network Star, I became curious. I set a few shows to record on the DVR and this is my first try at one of the recipes (this one seen on Quick Fix with Robin Miller). They were really easy and a nice twist on our usual Mexican fare! You could definitely try all different kinds of variations with your filling too.

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 to 2 c. chopped turkey or chicken (I used 1 can of chicken)
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- about 1 c. salsa
- about 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- about 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used Pepper Jack)
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts

Directions:
- Put chicken/turkey in bowl and add salsa. Add in both cheeses, beans and cumin. Mix well.
- Roll out pie crusts and cut out a big circle in dough. She had a big circle cookie cutter, which I don't, so the best thing I found in my kitchen was the top of this big glass.
- Put a pile of filling on your circle of dough and smoosh it together so you can fold over the top of the circle to make a half moon.
- Crimp edges with a fork to seal the ends together and place on baking sheet.
Cut slits in the tops. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden.

0 comments: