Barbecued Meatballs

My mom gave me this cookbook, Not JUST Beans, 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites, awhile ago and this is one of the first recipes I have tried from it. So far, so good! I am not a fan of dealing with raw meat and when you make meatballs, you really have to deal with it! But aside from being really grossed out while I blended the ingredients and formed the meat into balls (with my bare hands!) they were super easy to make AND super tasty. I am definitely going to look for a good Italian meatball recipe now! Any suggestions?!

(I cut this recipe in half and only used 1 lb. beef)
Ingredients:
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- 2 c. oatmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. onion powder or 1 T. onion, finely chopped
- 1 c. evaporated milk
- 2 t. salt
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. pepper
- Barbecue sauce

Directions:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, blend well. Form hamburger mixture into balls.
- Put in a 9x13 pan and an 8x8 pan (I used one 8x8), pour barbecue sauce over them. (I just put a little bit so each meatball had some on top and will probably use more next time so there is enough on the bottom to spoon onto rice. There wasn't this time so we just poured some extra sauce from the bottle on the rice when serving)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 30 medium meatballs.

4 comments:

Pineapple Hill said...

I wondered if you had used that book at all. The meatballs look really good.

Annemarie said...

Those look really, really good. My kids love meatballs so I will definitley be trying ths one!

Melissa said...

This looks good. I am always trying to find recipes that don't have dairy, soy or peanuts/legumes in it and I think I could make this without the milk. Thanks!

Melissa said...

Just thought I would let you know we did try it and we loved it. I think I would use more BBQ sauce too next time.