Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham

I love potatoes, and creamy dishes, and cheese so this was right up my alley. I thought it was delicious and Ella ate it up too. It is definitely a meal in itself with all the ham!

Ingredients:
3/4 c. powdered nondairy creamer**
1 3/4 c. water
3 T. butter
3 T. flour (or cornstarch)
2 T. dried minced onion
1 t. salt
3/4 t. paprika
6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 c. diced cooked ham (I used lunch meat)
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I probably used more than this...I made sure the whole thing was generously covered)

Directions:
- In a small bowl, combine creamer and water until smooth. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add creamer mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased shallow 2 1/2 qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and ham. Pour sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted.

**I was having a hard time finding the "powdered nondairy creamer" and finally asked our little chef at HEB (a grocery store here). He was sooo nice! He left his little cooking station and walked me over to the coffee creamers (which I had not even thought of). We found one HUGE thing of "nondairy" creamer so he compared the ingredients in that and the regular coffee creamer and said they both contained a milk ingredient so they should work the same. I got the smallest generic coffee creamer (only $1 vs. $6 for that huge one) and it turned out great. Thanks little chef man :-)!**

0 comments: