Hamburger Potato Hot Dish

This is definitely a stereotypical church casserole - straight out of a ward cook book (my parent's old Mandarin 1st Ward in FL). I don't usually put the chips on top, because I don't ever have plain potato chips, but since I needed to take a picture for the blog I sacrificed some of my treasured Baked Sour Cream and Cheddar Ruffles for the top - you all owe me!

Ingredients:
- 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. hamburger
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- cream of chicken soup (diluted with 1/2 c. milk)
- 1 bag frozen hash browns
- 3 to 5 carrots, grated
- crushed potato chips for topping

Directions:
- Brown meat, onion, salt and pepper in skillet. Alternate layers of hash browns, carrots and meat. Cover with soup. Repeat until all is used; top with chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes uncovered.
(I use a 9x13 pan, so I don't alternate layers because I only have enough for 1 layer of each. If you want to do the layers, be sure to use a smaller dish)

2 comments:

Kim said...

"Hot dishes" remind me of Liz's college cooking.

Marci said...

Ha! I almost actually put in my post that everytime I make this I think of Liz and her tator tot hot dish :-)!