India Chicken Curry

Well, I'm adapting this recipe from a Better Homes and Garden recipe from 1937, so I don't know how "Indian" it really is, but it still tastes pretty good :-). I love curry and have another recipe I'll post that I got from Mike's mom (and I believe is passed on from Grandma Freeman) the next time we make it....it is best described as a delicious twist on a Hawaiin Haystack. Here is this one for tonight though:

India Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1 large potato, diced (optional, I like it)
2 T. butter
3 T. flour or cornstarch
1-2 t. curry powder
1-1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 c. cooked chicken, diced (I boil mine and then use that broth)
1/2 c. tomato juice (I buy 1 can at Walmart (for 30 cents I think) and then just dump the rest out because I don't have any other use for it)
hot cooked rice

Directions:
* In a medium saucepan cook onion and celery (and potatoes) in hot butter until tender.
* Stir in flour/cornstarch and curry powder.
* Add the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce.
* Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
* Stir in the cooked chicken and tomato juice; heat through.
** Season to taste and serve over rice...I add some crushed red pepper, extra curry, a little salt and lots of pepper. We like it over brown rice.

0 comments: