Fancy Ground Beef

Well, I decided to try this recipe because it sounded like something Mike would like...and it uses beef, which I am always looking for a way to fit in the week. I thought it was pretty good, as did the girls. I was going to serve it over rice (like pretty much everything we eat) but went with mashed potatoes because I needed to use our potatoes up. I think it would be equally good on either though.

Ingredients:
- 2 honey-wheat bread slices (I used 1 regular wheat)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms (1 pack)
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced

Directions:
- Process bread slices in a food processor until finely chopped (I don't have one so I used my pampered chef food chopper and it worked well. This was a wedding gift by the way and I had no idea it cost so much - wow!)
- Place bread crumbs in a mixing bowl; add ground beef and next 4 ingredients. Gently combine with hands. Shape into 4 (4 in) patties.
- Whisk together brown gravy with water.
- Cook patties in hot oil in a large skillet over med-high heat 2 min. on each side or just until brown. Remove patties from skillet.
- Add mushrooms and onions to skillet, and saute 6 min. or until tender. Stir in prepared gravy, and bring to a light boil.
- Return patties to skillet, and spoon gravy over each patty. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 8-10 minutes.

0 comments: